Finding my way..

Searching the Psalms, scriptures, and the hearts of those around me, trying to find my way to the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Day of the Betrayer

Today we chanted these words at Liturgy, on Holy Thursday.

The transgressor Judas, O Lord,
dipped his hand in the plate with You at supper.
But now, he unlawfully stretches forth his hand for silver.
He calculated the price of the woman’s myrrh,
yet he does not shudder in selling You, the priceless One.
He let the Master wash his feet,
yet he deceitfully kisses Him in betrayal to lawless men.
Cast out from the ranks of the Apostles,
he casts away the thirty pieces of silver,
not seeing the Resurrection on the third day.//
By it, have mercy on us!

I cannot think of a better representation of "seeing the mote in your neighbor's eye, while ignoring the plank in your own"  than the complaint of Judas about the woman who washed Jesus' feet with the precious oil, and wiped them with her hair, and then Judas kissing the face of his Savior in betrayal.

Except perhaps my own betrayal of Jesus every day.  I don't speak his name when I should.  I don't ask for forgiveness because I believe I am without sin.  I  ignore those around me who need love, I speak foul words against their character.  I think I am superior to "them,"  whoever the "them" of the day is.  I waste--time, money, resources.    I break bonds of kinship with angry words.   I sin against love in my heart.
I am selfish, I am greedy.   I don't love others as I love myself. 

How many times do I have to sell Jesus before I'll stop?



Am I in a better place than Judas, that I should see the Resurrection?  

Lord, Jesus Christ, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Lord, Jesus Christ, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Lord, Jesus Christ, have mercy on me, a sinner.

Oh, Lord Jesus, come quickly!!

Dianne, a sinner



No comments:

Post a Comment